Vermicomposting is the process in which worms turn organic wastes into very high-quality compost. Our vermicompost is obtained after vermicomposting the cattle dung mainly cow dung. Earthworms excreta (vermicast) is a nutritive organic fertilizer rich in humus, NPK, micronutrients, beneficial soil microbes; nitrogen-fixing, phosphate solubilizing bacteria, actinomycetes and growth hormones auxins, gibberellins & cytokinins. Both vermicompost & its body liquid (vermiwash) are proven as both growth promoters & protectors for crop plants. Vermicompost contains water-soluble nutrients and it is an excellent, nutrient-rich organic fertilizer and soil conditioner.
Vermicompost contains up to 5 times the plant available nutrients found in average potting soil mixes. Chemical analysis of the castings was conducted [5,6] and found that it contains 5 times the available nitrogen, 7 times the available potash and 1.5 times more calcium than that found in 15 cm of good topsoil. In addition, nutrient life is up to 6 times more in comparison to the other types of potting mixes. The average potting soil mixes that are found in the market are usually sterile and do not have a microbial population. The combination of nutrients and microbial organisms is essential for growing healthy and productive plants. Vermicompost not only adds microbial organisms and nutrients that have long-lasting residual effects.
Vermicomposting is a compatible process with sound environmental principles that value the conservation of resources and sustainable practices. Vermicompost is known to be the world’s best organic fertilizer. Vermiculture is for vermicompost. Vermiculture means artificial rearing or cultivation of worms (Earthworms) and technology is the scientific process of using them for the betterment of human beings. Vermiculture technology has improved crop productivity by increasing soil fertility through ecological methods of farming. Vermiculture has been embraced throughout the world right from the developed countries to the developing countries. Vermicomposting is a panacea for solid waste management. It is a simple kindred process of composting, in which certain species of microorganisms such as earthworms are used to enhance the process of waste conversion and produce a better end product It is a flushed and clean way to do away with wastes going into our landfills, which improves the environment. Vermicomposting is inexpensive and only takes two to three months to produce results. Vermicompost meliorate the root structure, plant growth, new shoots and blooms of plants. An increase in crops is also noticeable. Vermicompost also has ingredients that repel insects, and it can be used as an insect unpleasant. Over time, soil can become robbed of key nutrients. Vermicompost reinduced those nutrients and optimizes soil content.
Advantages of Using Vermicompost-:
- It can be mixed directly into the soil as a soil amendment which enriches the soil with micro-organisms, Improves soil aeration, Enhances germination, plant growth thus improves crop yield
- It is rich in humic acids, which condition the soil and helps balance pH; Improves nutrient recycling, water holding capacity, root growth, and structure
- It provides plants with essential nutrients and aids in the suppression of plant diseases.
- It contains five times more nitrogen, seven times more phosphorus, and 11 times more potassium than ordinary soil, the main minerals needed for plant growth
- Microbial activity in worm castings is 10 to 20 times higher than in the soil and organic matter that the worm ingests, Attracts deep-burrowing earthworms already present in the soil
- Vermicompost contains some antibiotics and actinomycetes that help in increasing the “power of biological resistance” among the crop plants against pests and diseases.